2020 TAIWAN VR RESIDENCY – NEWIMAGES FESTIVAL x KAOHSIUNG FILM FESTIVAL x FRENCH OFFICE IN TAIPEI
Registrations are open until Monday 20 April 2020 at 11:59 pm GMT/UTC!
Register Now ⇨ https://newimagesfestival.com/en/taiwan-vr-residency/
In 2019, the Kaohsiung Film Festival (Taiwan), the NewImages Festival (France) and the French Office in Taipei have joined forces to set up a VR creation residency program for the very first time. The goal is to help the selected creator create a VR experience (at least 5 minutes in length), for world premiere release either in the NewImages Festival (in mid-June) or in the Kaohsiung Film Festival (usually around mid-October to the beginning of November) and boost the exchange on both sides.
For the second edition of the Taiwan VR Residency program, we offer one VR talent based in France this extraordinary opportunity. One creator will be invited to work in cooperation with Taiwanese directors, producers, scriptwriters, or local technical crews and production companies in Taiwan. The program will actively build residents’ skills, experience and network. Towards the end of the residency, the creator will develop a production-ready VR prototype with supporting documentation.
● Who can apply
Creators with French nationality or Permanent Resident Certificate, or foreign nationals currently living in France with a valid working visa, aged 18 years and over, have at least one VR-related experience to their credits.
All VR projects (360, interactive, installations) are eligible, as long as they are French (co)production. Applicants must be able to communicate in either English or Mandarin.
● The selected VR creator will be provided
- Funding: NT$1,000,000 (about €28.480 or US$32.300) per project;
- A Round-trip economy class airline ticket (proof required for reimbursement);
- The Daily allowance of NT$1,000 per day. ;
- Help to connect with local production companies/technical teams in creating or filming their VR creation;
- Mentoring sessions with VR experts at the midterm point of the residency;
- A complimentary badge to attend the 2021 or the 2022 edition of the NewImages Festival.
- An inspiring, unforgettable journey
● Obligations of the selected VR creator during residency
- The selected VR creator shall hold at least one creative workshop, exchange workshop with local creators, lecture or panel at any of the educational and promotional programs organized by Kaohsiung Film Archive;
- The selected VR creator shall join the creators’ exchange meeting held by the Pier-2 Art Center with other resident creators;
- Monthly reports in the form of blog with texts and photos/images shall be regularly published online in public.
- Creators are required to execute the residency plan before the residency period expires. Phased achievements relating to the production of the work (hand-drawn scripts, photos from the field study, short clips, prototype, etc.) shall be published or shown to the public when the residency ends.
● Key dates
Tuesday 4 February 2020: Launch of the call for projects.
Monday 20 April 2020: Closure of the call for projects.
Thursday 28 and Friday 29 May 2020: online applicants’ interviews with the selection committee.
(No later than) Thursday 4 June 2020: The selected creator is informed and invited to the NewImages Festival.
10-14 June 2020: The result will be announced officially during the award ceremony on Friday 12 June 2020.